When it comes to keeping a party going, no one stands out clearer than the single most important person at any party. It has been said, ‘he who controls the music, controls the world’ and there is no truer statement about the disc jockeys that are often literally the heart and soul of any festival, gathering, circuit party, or event. Listed in no particular order, and each being uniquely fabulous, here are shout outs to the music givers, in an all-star line-up, as the top 10 DJs in the LGBT community to be recognized with the homage they deserve:
1. DJ Paulo: Audiences travel the world to hear sets from Portugal-born, Los Angeles-based DJ Paulo. He has performed sold out DJ sets all over the world and has reached #1 on Soundcloud and Billboard with official remixes for Justin Bieber, Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, Cher, Beyoncé, Kelly Clarkson, etc.
2. Kitty Glitter: Drag Superstar DJ Kitty Glitter is from and resides in Australia, when not doing sets all over the world. Kitty has been DJing for 10 years at festivals like White Party Palm Springs, Toronto, New York, and Montreal Pride, Sydney Mardi Gras, and Matinee Las Vegas.
3. Dan Slater: Another Australian-based music producer/DJ Dan Slater also lives in Sydney but DJs all over the world. He has produced remixes for Cher, Carmen Elektra, Britney Spears, Paulini, Ultra Nate and Marcia Hines and DJs at events like Matinee Las Vegas throughout the year.
4. Nina Flowers: Former RuPaul’s Drag Race alum and Puerto Rican Drag superstar Nina Flowers has been DJing since 1993. Her stint on RuPaul’s Drag Race gained her international fame, and her single Loca reached number 15 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play. She continues to DJ within the US and overseas.
5. Phil Romano: Italian DJ Phil Romano is truly a citizen of the world. He was born in Rome, found his music scene in Melbourne, Australia, lived in Los Angeles in the early 2000s and is now a resident DJ in Milan. Phil Romano has been on the scene since 2002. Some of his most famous remixes include Kylie Minogue’s Timebomb and George Michael’s White Light.
6. DJ Abel: With a career spanning more than thirty years, Abel Aguilera has managed to spend most of that time at the top of his craft. A regular staple of many Atlantis Events cruises and events, DJ Abel was born in Brooklyn, but has also called Miami home. He is known for his having sets that have his signature “cha-cha”. DJ Abel is also half the hit DJ team, Rosabel.
7. Wayne G: DJ and Producer made a name for himself during his 9-year tenure as main DJ for club Heaven in London, and made his debut there spinning for Grace Jones and an audience of 3,000. Wayne G DJs massive festivals all around the world, including Sydney Mardi Gras, White Party Palm Springs, Hong Kong Pride, and Southern Decadence, to name a few. He is also known for his remixes for the likes of Cher, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Kylie Minogue, Katy Perry, Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, etc.
8. Corey Craig: Known for his sets and podcasts dubbed “Coreyography”, Corey Craig isn’t just the DJ on your favorite porn site, Machomoe. He is also a New York DJ that likes to mix progressive electro with house disco. Corey Craig performs at festivals around the world, including most recently at Matinee Las Vegas.
9. Danny Verde: Tribal house and tech-house DJ Danny Verde is an international music producer and DJ who’s become a household name due to performances at Muccacassina in Rome, Xslsior Mykonos, White Party Bangkok, and more. Originally from Milan, Danny Verde has been spinning records and producing music since 1994.
10 Casey Alva: Another one of Atlantis Events’ resident DJs, Casey Alva has performed sets at White Party Palm Springs, Sydney Mardi Gras, Sundance Film Festival, Telluride Gay Ski Week, Elevation Gay Ski Weeks (Mammoth and Park City), 1LIFE Festival, etc. Alva is a resident DJ in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas, and he currently lives in Los Angeles where he produces music.
These are the DJ’s that, when they come to your community, you have to go to hear them. They are incredible. They lay down serious beats and keep the dance floor moving. They are the trendsetters, movers & shakers, and the beat of the LGBT community. Let’s hear it for our top 10 DJs!