When it comes time to elevate your drinking game, remember that there is a fine line between taking whatever alcohol comes your way, and knowing your way around exceptional cocktails. There is no reason why you cannot up your drinking game and master the fine art of ordering drinks that take you from the amateur to connoisseur status. If you have been languishing with the same beverages at the bar for years and are looking for drinks that take you to the next level, these are some tips and guidelines that can assist you at your favorite bar in your hometown or when you’re traveling on the road and need to call out the ingredients necessary to make your preferred cocktail.
It’s easy to up your drinking game at a gay bar. It is all about great selection, great taste, and the ultimate in presentation. There is a reason why certain brands have set themselves apart from the pack and why serious cocktail aficionados are on a first-name basis with them. Selecting the right beverage can make you go from an amateur drinker to a power gay in no time!
If you’re in a gay bar, your drink order order may say more about you than you are aware of, and if you want to speak volumes without saying much, there are some great cocktails out there – some tried and true classics, while others are an invitation to the next level in esteemed beverages. No matter which ones you prefer, there’s no denying that these are 7 drinks that leave a lasting impression.
- The Cosmopolitan. Since making its debut during the late 70s, the Cosmo has been a classic drink that has been associated with the upwardly mobile gay man (and Sex and the City-ish woman) because of its strong Stoli (yes, Stoli – accept no substitutes) delicious aftertaste, and simply the thrill of ordering them.
- The Manhattan. As one of the most popular drinks in any bar, a Manhattan is another classic drink that you can order just about anywhere and not have to worry about its preparation. But if you do, any bartender worth the tip you leave him should be able to make it. The ingredients are simple: Whiskey as the main ingredient, ¾ oz of vermouth (sweet red), and a dash of Angostura bitters. Prepare in a chilled glass stirred over ice, straight up, with a cherry on top. And if you’re in a club, you already should know how to use that cherry and its stem.
- Vodka Cran. It may sound simple, but a vodka cran cocktail is one of the classiest (and easiest) drinks to assemble anywhere in the world. Anyone could make it, and sometimes, it is the best cocktail to order in a pinch – or in a foreign land. Simply turn to the bartender, point to the Stoli, and add a splash of cranberry juice for color.
- The Gay Russian. The name of the drink may be Russian, but it is altogether Belgium, launched in Brussels in honor of the country’s first openly gay head of government. It’s slightly sweet and uses Stoli vodka, so how could you go wrong? Simply add equal parts of Stoli, Irish cream, and milk, shake, then serve in a lowball glass. This is a vanilla vodka cocktail at its finest.
- Mocha Martini. It doesn’t just sound delicious – it is! And it is even simpler to make: 2 ½ oz of Stoli, ½ oz of coffee liqueur, and 1 oz of crème de cacao mixed in a shaker with ice, strained and then served in a martini glass.
- Black Friday. Named in honor of one of the most stressful retail days, the Black Friday is just the drink to put you at ease after shopping until you drop. You can thank us later.
- Labor Day Cocktail. After a hard day’s work, there is nothing like settling down with one of your new favorite drinks, which we believe just might be a Labor Day Cocktail. It’s definitely the next level in classy drinks and after one of these you will be glad for your newfound liquid discovery.
Now, armed with these upgrades in your arsenal, you are more than ready to up your drinking game at the gay bar, helping you become a true power gay!